Venture Law for Emerging Companies
Why Choose Us
We pride ourselves on our high percentage of referral clients – most of the companies we work with have been referred to us by funds or other startup founders within their communities. We are honored and privileged to receive such endorsements from our clients and hold ourselves to the highest standards in appreciation of these relationships. Whether you were recommended to us or found us organically, we invite you to see first-hand how our team embraces venture law – with a truly innovative multi-disciplinary approach and a dedicated team of attorneys fiercely committed to the venture space. We’ve built our Venture Law team specifically around the varied needs of startups and funds – from corporate, tax, and fundraising, to patents, trademarks, immigration, and litigation.
Our clients are U.S. based and abroad, but choose us because of our Midwest values – our commitment to client service excellence, top tier legal work, and startup-friendly rates that provide early stage companies with even more value due to our deep industry experience. We are committed to entrepreneurship and are passionate about helping startups throughout the entire life cycle, from ideation to exit. We work hand-in-hand with our clients as strategic partners to help execute growth and fundraising strategies. No matter the stage, we offer a personal, results-oriented approach and a network of industry relationships and resources to help you advance from one stage to the next.
Who We Assist
We represent angel and venture-backed companies in all stages of growth, from early or seed stage, to series or growth stage, all the way through to exit and acquisition. We have broad experience from helping clients in diverse industries, including biopharmaceutical, medical device, software as a service (SaaS), consumer goods, and technology of all types including communications, marketing, insurance, financial, and agricultural.
What We Do
In addressing the entire range of your needs, our attorneys carefully listen, engage, and provide innovative solutions to complex matters in a cost-effective manner. Our multidisciplinary attorneys are invested in helping your ventures succeed, and work together seamlessly to provide a comprehensive range of services, including but not limited to:
- Assisting with company formation, and drafting all documents necessary to launch a successful venture company on the right legal track
- Providing counsel on strategic deals, including financings, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, spinoffs, exits, and recapitalizations
- Structuring equity incentive arrangements and assisting with pre-seed, seed, and series stage fundraising
- Counseling clients in all areas of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret protection to establish, preserve, and defend intellectual property rights
- Assisting with data room and cap table management to simplify the due diligence and financing process
- Playing a strategic advisory role in client operations and partnering with management to execute growth strategies
- Drafting a variety of commercial and licensing agreements, including software licenses, master services, “white label” licenses, distributor, global supply, sales representative, and joint development agreements
- Addressing the gamut of employment challenges, such as providing proactive advice and counseling and resolving issues involving employees and independent contractors
- Advising on corporate governance matters, from board structuring and executive compensation planning to SEC reporting and compliance
- Litigating and resolving high-stakes disputes, including IP, commercial, and stockholder securities matters, in state and federal lawsuits, in proceedings before the USPTO, and through alternative dispute resolution
- Advising on a range of complex technology matters, such as software as a service (SaaS), data privacy, cybersecurity, cryptocurrency, blockchain, and token transactions
- Providing counsel on tax implications for startup companies, as well as tax controversies, Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, and partnership restructuring
Why Work With Us?
Our attorneys take a full-service, team-oriented approach to addressing clients’ legal needs and provide a comprehensive range of services including protection of intellectual property, assisting with company formation and agreements, providing strategic counsel during pre-seed, seed, and series stage fundraising, and more. As your business grows, we continue to guide you and your business through issues related to tax, employment, real estate, technology, and more.