Patent Prosecution, Drafting & Consultation
Organizations that flourish in today’s economy take patent management and protection seriously. They engage counsel who can skillfully guide them through the patent-preparation and prosecution process, and assist them in managing patent portfolios.
Ulmer & Berne’s Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology practice includes approximately 15 attorneys who are registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, with training in the electrical, chemical, mechanical and software arts.
Members of our group have substantial experience in:
- Preparing and prosecuting U.S. patent applications in the electrical, chemical and mechanical areas, as well as with respect to software, business methods and processes
- Managing foreign agents in connection with preparation and prosecution of patent applications filed in foreign countries directly and through use of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) process
- Coordinating prior art searching and preparing patent-related legal analyses and opinions, including patentability, landscape, non-infringement, invalidity and freedom-to-use opinions
- Counseling clients with respect to structuring and managing invention identification and protection programs
- Counseling clients with respect to patent portfolio development and management and related research and development activities
- Structuring and documenting licensing and other transactions for the commercialization of patents and related assets and rights
- Conducting due diligence investigations involving patents or portfolios of patents, such as in connection with mergers, acquisitions and business divestitures
Members of the IP and Technology practice have advanced degrees or education in various scientific disciplines such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, chemistry, biology and pharmacology. Some have served as in-house counsel with leading companies that operate in the medical device, industrial and consumer chemical and polymer industries.
“The Patent Game” helps readers maximize value while bringing their innovations to life Patent law may not initially seem like an ideal candidate for gamification, but that is the incredibly effective and novel approach taken in a new, easy-to-understand, and comprehensive guide to developing a winning patent strategy now available...
August 06, 2019
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that 11 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized by Cincy Magazine as Cincy Leading Lawyers. Attorneys selected as Cincy Leading Lawyers are considered to be the best in the Tristate area. Members of Greater Cincinnati’s legal community nominate their colleagues each...
January 31, 2019
Ulmer is pleased to announce that two new associates have joined the firm’s Cleveland and Cincinnati offices. Gregory C. Djordjevic joins the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group in Cleveland, and Elizabeth A. Conklin joins the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Cincinnati. Most recently an associate with Jones Day in...
April 26, 2018
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the promotion of Seth A. Voit to partner. Voit, a member of Ulmer’s Intellectual Property & Technology Group, is based in the firm’s Cincinnati office. “We are both excited and fortunate to welcome Seth into our partnership,” said Ulmer Managing Partner Scott...
January 03, 2018
“Ulmer & Berne Promotes One in Ohio” World Intellectual Property Review January 25, 2016 US law firm Ulmer & Berne has promoted Duke Haugh to partner in the firm’s intellectual property practice in Cincinnati. Read full article »
January 25, 2016
Ulmer & Berne is proud to announce the promotion of Cincinnati-based attorneys Lucas V. (Duke) Haugh and Stephen G. Nesbitt to partner, effective January 1, 2016. “As a firm, we are focused on continuously improving our ability to serve clients in a variety of ways, one of which is developing...
January 07, 2016
Ulmer & Berne LLP announces the addition of seasoned intellectual property attorney Paul M. Ulrich as a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property (IP) & Technology practice. The practice has grown significantly throughout 2014, adding eight new members since January. Mr. Ulrich joins Ulmer & Berne’s Cincinnati office from Dinsmore...
December 22, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP announces the addition of seasoned intellectual property attorney John X. Garred as Partner in the firm’s growing Intellectual Property (IP) & Technology practice, which has added seven new members since January of this year. Mr. Garred joins the firm from Tucker Ellis LLP, where he was...
December 03, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP is ranked in 40 categories in the 2015 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” rankings. Among these, the firm earns U.S. News – Best Lawyers’ highest ranking in 23 categories. The firm also ranks nationally in 17 categories. Ulmer & Berne achieved a “Metropolitan Tier...
November 03, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP is named to the BTI IP Honor Roll as described in the “BTI Intellectual Property Outlook 2015: Changes, Trends and Opportunities in IP & IP Litigation.” BTI Consulting is a leading provider of market research for professional service firms. The BTI IP Outlook 2015 combines a...
July 08, 2014