Patent Prosecution, Drafting & Consultation
Organizations that flourish in today’s economy take patent management and protection seriously. They engage counsel who can skillfully guide them through the patent-preparation and prosecution process, and assist them in managing patent portfolios.
Ulmer & Berne’s Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology practice includes attorneys who are registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, with training in the electrical, chemical, mechanical and software arts.
Members of our group have substantial experience in:
- Preparing and prosecuting U.S. patent applications in the electrical, chemical and mechanical areas, as well as with respect to software, business methods and processes
- Managing foreign agents in connection with preparation and prosecution of patent applications filed in foreign countries directly and through use of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) process
- Coordinating prior art searching and preparing patent-related legal analyses and opinions, including patentability, landscape, non-infringement, invalidity and freedom-to-use opinions
- Counseling clients with respect to structuring and managing invention identification and protection programs
- Counseling clients with respect to patent portfolio development and management and related research and development activities
- Structuring and documenting licensing and other transactions for the commercialization of patents and related assets and rights
- Conducting due diligence investigations involving patents or portfolios of patents, such as in connection with mergers, acquisitions and business divestitures
Members of the IP and Technology practice have advanced degrees or education in various scientific disciplines such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, chemistry, and biology. Some have served as in-house counsel with leading companies that operate in the medical device, industrial and consumer chemical and polymer industries.
Ulmer Announces Election of Three New Partners
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the election of three partners to the firm, effective January 1, 2020. This class of new partners includes attorneys with backgrounds in diverse legal disciplines and who reflect Ulmer’s commitment to providing sophisticated advice and counsel. “We are happy to welcome Kristin,...
November 20, 2019
Eleven Ulmer Attorneys Recognized as Cincy Leading Lawyers
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that 11 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized by Cincy Magazine as Cincy Leading Lawyers. Attorneys selected as Cincy Leading Lawyers are considered to be the best in the Tristate area. Members of Greater Cincinnati’s legal community nominate their colleagues each...
January 31, 2019
Ulmer Grows in Cleveland and Cincinnati with Additions to Business Litigation and IP Practices
Ulmer is pleased to announce that two new associates have joined the firm’s Cleveland and Cincinnati offices. Gregory C. Djordjevic joins the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group in Cleveland, and Elizabeth A. Conklin joins the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Cincinnati. Most recently an associate with Jones Day in...
April 26, 2018