Patent lawsuits are both expensive and threatening to the viability of a business. Whether an enterprise is the victim of patent infringement or the target of allegations concerning infringement, it will require patent litigation attorneys with the expertise and experience to handle the most complex patent infringement lawsuits involving a wide variety of technologies and scientific processes.
The intellectual property attorneys in Ulmer & Berne’s patent litigation practice have backgrounds in a variety of technical disciplines, and a clear understanding of how to successfully and efficiently counsel clients as to effective management of patent-related disputes. Prior to their legal careers, many of our litigators gained experience in sectors of the engineering industry (including electrical, mechanical, chemical and software) as well as computer science and other technology-based fields. Many of these attorneys are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Clients also need advice from attorneys who know patent law and have proven themselves as first-rate trial counsel. We represent clients in federal court, as well as before the USPTO and International Trade Commission (ITC) proceedings. We manage all phases of the patent litigation process. Our combination of deep technical expertise and wide litigation experience offers clients the best of both worlds and the best opportunity for success.
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the election of four partners to the firm, effective January 1, 2019. This class of new partners includes accomplished attorneys from three of Ulmer’s offices who have diverse experience spanning multiple legal disciplines. “Through their hard work, determination, and dedication to providing...
January 02, 2019
Ulmer & Berne LLP is proud to expand its Columbus office with the addition of Partner Rachael L. Rodman. Rodman is an accomplished litigator who concentrates her practice in the area of IP litigation, and has experience representing clients in a variety of cases involving patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret...
November 06, 2018
Ulmer is pleased to announce that two new associates have joined the firm’s Cleveland and Cincinnati offices. Gregory C. Djordjevic joins the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group in Cleveland, and Elizabeth A. Conklin joins the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Cincinnati. Most recently an associate with Jones Day in...
April 26, 2018
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the promotion of Seth A. Voit to partner. Voit, a member of Ulmer’s Intellectual Property & Technology Group, is based in the firm’s Cincinnati office. “We are both excited and fortunate to welcome Seth into our partnership,” said Ulmer Managing Partner Scott...
January 03, 2018
Forty percent of all patent litigation cases are filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. This court has become famous (or infamous) for its liberal venue practices, accepting cases where neither plaintiff nor defendant conduct significant business. Moreover, the court is perceived by many as a...
May 24, 2017
Ulmer is ranked in 39 categories in the 2017 U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings. Among these, the firm earns U.S. News – Best Lawyers highest rankings in 21 categories. The firm also ranks nationally in 15 categories. Firms included in the 2017 “Best Law Firms” are...
November 01, 2016
“Michael Nathan Ungar | Ulmer & Berne LLP” Cleveland Jewish News January 15, 2015 Perennial Super Lawyer Michael Nathan Ungar considers settlement of a dispute embroiling Case Western University among his most memorable cases of 2014. Read the full article »
January 15, 2015
Ulmer & Berne LLP announces the addition of seasoned intellectual property attorney Paul M. Ulrich as a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property (IP) & Technology practice. The practice has grown significantly throughout 2014, adding eight new members since January. Mr. Ulrich joins Ulmer & Berne’s Cincinnati office from Dinsmore...
December 22, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP has been ranked within the top 10 percent of all law firms by The BTI Consulting Group, one of the nation’s leading legal industry research firms, in their recently published 2015 BTI Litigation Outlook report. The firm was selected as a “Litigation Powerhouse” and is named...
October 23, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP is named to the BTI IP Honor Roll as described in the “BTI Intellectual Property Outlook 2015: Changes, Trends and Opportunities in IP & IP Litigation.” BTI Consulting is a leading provider of market research for professional service firms. The BTI IP Outlook 2015 combines a...
July 08, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP was named 2014 Ohio Firm of the Year by Benchmark Litigation at the second annual Benchmark Litigation US Awards held at the Essex Hotel in New York City on January 29, 2014. The US Benchmark Awards were based on a six-month research period involving extensive interviews...
January 30, 2014
Ulmer & Berne LLP announced a significant expansion to its Intellectual Property & Technology Practice with the addition of patent litigator John F. Bennett as counsel in the firm’s Cincinnati office. Mr. Bennett, who joins Ulmer & Berne from Baker & Hostetler, adds depth to the Intellectual Property & Technology...
January 14, 2014
- Represented a worldwide electronics design and manufacturing company against claims that its cell phone chargers infringe a U.S. patent.
- Represented the nation’s largest fabric and craft retailer in defending against allegations of design patent infringement and utility patent infringement.
- Represented a manufacturer that designs, manufactures, sells, and supports bi-fuel conversion technology for stationary and mobile diesel engines in patent infringement and breach of license agreement litigation.
- Represented a manufacturer of medical devices against claims that its cardio monitoring devices infringe U.S. patents.
- Represented a leading global manufacturer of welding products in connection with patent infringement claims.
- Represented a U.S. chemical supplier of industrial solvents against claims that certain solvents infringe U.S. patents.
- Represented a manufacturer of medical devices for use in treating dermatological conditions with respect to infringement of its patents.
- Represented a provider of nationwide paging services in defending claims of patent infringement based upon the paging system infrastructure, both hardware and software.
- Represented a manufacturer of printer ink cartridges in defending claims of patent infringement.
- Represented an equine care products business, both defending claims of infringement and asserting claims against infringers.