Why Choose Us
In the high-stakes world of patents, industry disputes involving business-critical technology are inevitable and can threaten the viability of your company. Whether you are the victim of patent infringement or the target of allegations concerning infringement, we have the experience to handle your most complex patent infringement lawsuits involving a wide variety of technologies and scientific processes. Using our diverse backgrounds in various technical disciplines, our team has a clear understanding of how to successfully and efficiently counsel you through these often complicated and sensitive disputes.
Our patent litigation team combines the strengths of the firm’s dynamic litigators with its deep bench of intellectual property attorneys who advise on all aspects of technology. As a result, we have developed a solid understanding of the technical and procedural nuances involved with resolving difficult patent matters. Embracing this shared expertise, we are adept at fiercely protecting your innovations and advancing your business interests.
“Their strengths are the amount of time they invest in getting a deep understanding of the issues and what is important to our business. I also appreciate the way they work together as a team, drawing on the strengths of the various attorneys as needed.”
– Client feedback from Chambers USA
What We Do
Clients need advice from attorneys who know the intricacies of patent law and have proven themselves as first-rate trial counsel. Our combination of deep technical expertise and wide litigation experience offers our clients the best of both worlds and the best opportunity for success. We provide a comprehensive range of legal services, including but not limited to:
- Developing customized patent enforcement plans to protect clients’ rights as patent owners, including sending cease-and-desist letters and seeking injunctions to prevent further infringement
- Assisting clients in taking proactive steps to stay out of the courtroom and providing advice on whether to pursue patent litigation
- Providing counsel to clients in patent litigation cases in federal courts, mediations, and arbitrations across the country
- Managing all phases of the patent litigation process from investigations, pleadings, discovery, pre-trial, trial, settlement, and appeal
- Representing clients in proceedings before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office including reexamination proceedings involving complex technologies
- Providing counsel to petitioners and patent owners in post-grant proceedings (e.g., inter partes review) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Representing clients in disputes before the International Trade Commission including Section 337 investigations and cases to prevent the importation of infringing products
- Defending alleged infringers against patent trolls or patent assertion entities who acquire patent rights in an attempt to collect licensing fees or profit from frivolous litigation
Rachael L. Rodman Published in Bloomberg Law on Reasonable Measures Under the DTSA
Ulmer Partner Rachael L. Rodman recently provided her professional perspective to Bloomberg Law in her article, “Reasonable Measures Under the DTSA.” In the article, Rodman examines the Defend Trade Secrets Act and the factors courts consider in evaluating sufficient reasonable measures to protect the secrecy of information, and also provides...
January 03, 2020
Ulmer Announces Election of Three New Partners
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the election of three partners to the firm, effective January 1, 2020. This class of new partners includes attorneys with backgrounds in diverse legal disciplines and who reflect Ulmer’s commitment to providing sophisticated advice and counsel. “We are happy to welcome Kristin,...
November 20, 2019
Rachael Rodman Appointed to IPO Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that Partner Rachael L. Rodman was recently appointed as a member of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) Diversity & Inclusion Committee, which is dedicated to establishing organizational focus around and executing programs based on diversity and inclusion. As one of IPO’s Management and...
June 05, 2019
Rachael Rodman Appointed Vice Chair of IPO Women in IP Committee
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that Partner Rachael L. Rodman was recently appointed as a Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) Women in IP Committee, which seeks to promote the advancement of women in IP law and to increase the diversity of IPO’s membership. As Vice...
February 19, 2019
Ulmer Elects Four Attorneys to Firm Partnership
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce the election of four partners to the firm, effective January 1, 2019. This class of new partners includes accomplished attorneys from three of Ulmer’s offices who have diverse experience spanning multiple legal disciplines. “Through their hard work, determination, and dedication to providing...
January 02, 2019
Ulmer Grows in Cleveland and Cincinnati with Additions to Business Litigation and IP Practices
Ulmer is pleased to announce that two new associates have joined the firm’s Cleveland and Cincinnati offices. Gregory C. Djordjevic joins the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group in Cleveland, and Elizabeth A. Conklin joins the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Cincinnati. Most recently an associate with Jones Day in...
April 26, 2018