Oil & Gas
Why Choose Us
In an era of great change and disruption for the oil and gas sector, your company faces several challenges. That’s where Ulmer’s experienced oil and gas attorneys can help. From handling bet-the-company litigation to addressing increased complexities in transactions and industry regulation, Ulmer’s Oil & Gas Practice provides creative and practical solutions to the unique challenges your business faces.
Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of first-rate trial attorneys and litigators, along with former petroleum “landmen” who use their deep understanding of the industry to help build your competitive advantage. Utilizing our experience helping clients across the country and at the forefront of the shale boom, we work closely together to address your needs and advance your business interests.
Who We Assist
We help participants in the oil and gas industry, including producers, midstream operators, retailers, gathering and local distribution companies, and drilling and service companies. We also represent one of the largest independent liquid petroleum pipeline operators in the United States, and a midstream service provider servicing producers in the Utica and Marcellus shale formations.
What We Do
We help our clients navigate the rapidly changing environment of the oil and gas industry by listening, engaging, and developing creative solutions to complex issues. In doing so, we provide counsel to our clients on a wide variety of litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters. As a full-service firm that is agile, responsive, and results oriented, our practice provides a comprehensive range of services, including but not limited to:
- Representing clients in a variety of matters before state and federal courts and arbitration panels involving contractual issues, property and mineral rights, rights-of-way, easements, nuisance and trespass claims, personal injury and catastrophic accidents, and royalty disputes
- Providing counsel on the complex issues raised by accidents, releases, and other emergency situations, including conducting and managing accident response teams and release reporting
- Helping clients navigate laws and regulations affecting the oil and gas industry including state Dormant Minerals Acts, Marketable Title Acts, and Ohio Department of Natural Resources permitting and reporting
- Advising on all types of transactional matters, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint venture agreements, oil and gas leases, pipeline right of ways, and well-field service contracts, as well as performing research and due diligence for real estate development
- Helping midstream operators acquire and manage easements to transport gas, natural gas liquids, and oil
- Negotiating road use maintenance agreements for producer and midstream clients
- Providing counsel on tax issues that arise from oil and gas exploration
- Preserving, perfecting, enforcing, and defending oil, gas, and mineral lien rights
- Helping clients prepare for unexpected events, such as conducting pre-incident response personnel training, developing action plans for emergencies, conducting audits, and organizing emergency response drills
- Representing creditors and debtors, purchasers and sellers, receivers and trustees in foreclosures, receiverships, bankruptcies, and distressed asset sales
- Representing clients before state and federal agencies and public utilities commissions such as the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the Ohio Power Siting Board, the Environmental Review Appeals Commission, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, the Ohio and U.S. Environmental Protection Agencies, the U.S. Department of Transportation, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission