Ulmer & Berne serves as leasing counsel to a wide variety of retail, office and other commercial landlords and tenants across the country. Representing both landlords and tenants, we understand the concerns of each party and are able to propose reasonable solutions that satisfy all legitimate issues. Our experience dealing with lease disputes between landlord and tenant affords us the ability to craft solutions that provide the appropriate level of future protection. Ulmer & Berne believes that preserving a good relationship between landlord and tenant, and quick turn-around is the key to success in today’s market.
The firm is an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers, where we stay abreast of current legal trends and develop relationships with key industry professionals. We perform most leases on a fixed fee basis which gives our clients the information they need to budget for legal costs. And, we strive to complete a lease faster, easier, and more cost-effectively than expected.
On the landlord side, we currently serve as leasing counsel to several retail developers, including Steiner + Associates, a worldwide leader in the development of the “lifestyle center.” On the tenant side, representative clients include KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Jo-Ann Stores, and Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurants.
From Ulmer’s Real Estate Advisor Law Blog By Scott Kadish I am a commercial leasing attorney at a large firm. I have developed a decent stable of loyal clients, but not because I am the smartest attorney in the world. I like to think I’m smart, but I would be...
March 03, 2017
What getting booted out of his boss’s office taught young Kadish Andy Brownfield for the Cincinnati Business Courier, January 25, 2017 “Ulmer & Berne Managing Partner Scott Kadish wanted to be a point guard for the Celtics in his native Boston growing up. ‘When I realized that being short and slow was...
February 03, 2017
From Ulmer’s Real Estate Law Advisor Blog Authors: Mary Forbes Lovett So I don’t know about you, but every time I turn on NPR lately there is some discussion about President Trump’s conflict of interest because of his Washington D.C. Hotel built in the former U.S. Post Office with a ground lease...
January 20, 2017
Ulmer & Berne welcomes Joseph B. Conn, who recently joined the firm as counsel. Mr. Conn adds his significant experience in major retail leasing and real estate development to Ulmer & Berne’s sizable real estate practice. He will be based in Ulmer & Berne’s Cincinnati office. Mr. Conn represents a national base of...
July 18, 2016
Cincinnati-based partner Scott Kadish has been elected to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL). Scott joins a group of highly regarded real estate lawyers, each elected for admission by invitation only after a rigorous screening process. Attorneys are elected to the ACREL fellowship for their outstanding legal ability, experience,...
April 07, 2016
Scott P. Kadish, Cincinnati-based partner and Chair of Ulmer & Berne’s Leasing and Retail Practice Groups, has been named to the Midwest Real Estate News Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame for 2015. Each year, Midwest Real Estate News highlights a select group of real estate professionals who go well...
February 04, 2016
Ulmer & Berne is proud to announce the promotion of Cincinnati-based attorneys Lucas V. (Duke) Haugh and Stephen G. Nesbitt to partner, effective January 1, 2016. “As a firm, we are focused on continuously improving our ability to serve clients in a variety of ways, one of which is developing...
January 07, 2016
“Sound off: Local attorneys share their opinions” Cincinnati Business Courier “Who’s Who in Greater Cincinnati Law” September 25, 2015
September 25, 2015
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to name Mary Forbes Lovett chair of the firm’s nationally recognized Real Estate Practice. Ms. Lovett, a partner in the firm’s Cleveland office, represents developers, nonprofit organizations, lenders, and investors in a wide variety of urban development projects utilizing federal and state historic, low...
October 06, 2014
- Serving as leasing counsel to the nation’s largest specialty retailer of fabrics and crafts in the nationwide leasing of superstore sites with approximately 35,000 square feet each.
- Serving as leasing counsel to North America’s largest specialty retailer of pet supplies and services.
- Serving as leasing counsel to an office supply superstore retailer in its national expansion program.
- Negotiating leases for, and serving as general counsel to, a growing chain of Irish pubs located throughout the Midwest.
- Serving as leasing counsel to the operator of multiple health clubs in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Representing a national restaurant franchisor in its expansion.
- Representing a rapidly expanding franchisee in all aspects of its leasing and construction build-outs.
- Representing a chain of rapidly expanding retail jewelry stores in connection with securing mall locations.
- Represented the landlord in the lease up of New City, an urban shopping center complex in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented a winery & restaurant in its national expansion.
- Acted as national coordinating counsel to a national restaurant chain for the inter-company conveyance of nearly 1,300 leased or owned restaurant locations.
- Represented an upscale Mexican restaurant in its expansion.
- Served as counsel to a leading national bank in the leasing of branch locations throughout Northeast Ohio.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Easton Town Center and the Fashion District at Easton in Columbus, Ohio.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Newport on the Levee Shopping Center in Newport, Kentucky.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Zona Rosa Shopping Center in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Centro Ybor Shopping Center in Tampa, Florida.
- Representing the landlord in the leasing of Bayshore Town Center, a regional Wisconsin shopping mall that has been converted to a town center format.
- Representing a landlord in the acquisition, development and leasing of The Greene, a 65-acre Beavercreek, Ohio, town center format shopping center with an adjacent movie theater.
- Serving as leasing counsel to various downtown and suburban office towers and complexes.