Ulmer & Berne serves as leasing counsel to a wide variety of retail, office and other commercial landlords and tenants across the country. Representing both landlords and tenants, we understand the concerns of each party and are able to propose reasonable solutions that satisfy all legitimate issues. Our experience dealing with lease disputes between landlord and tenant affords us the ability to craft solutions that provide the appropriate level of future protection. Ulmer & Berne believes that preserving a good relationship between landlord and tenant, and quick turn-around is the key to success in today’s market.
The firm is an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers, where we stay abreast of current legal trends and develop relationships with key industry professionals. We perform most leases on a fixed fee basis which gives our clients the information they need to budget for legal costs. And, we strive to complete a lease faster, easier, and more cost-effectively than expected.
On the landlord side, we currently serve as leasing counsel to several retail developers, including Steiner + Associates, a worldwide leader in the development of the “lifestyle center.” On the tenant side, representative clients include KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Jo-Ann Stores, and Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurants.
February 3, 2020 – Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to share that Lori Pittman Haas, Partner and Group Leader of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group, has been named to the Midwest Real Estate News Hall of Fame, which recognizes leaders in the commercial real estate industry who have helped...
February 03, 2020
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that Mary Forbes Lovett, Partner and Chair of Ulmer’s Real Estate Practice Group, has been elected to the firm’s Management Committee. Lovett is one of two women serving on this seven-member committee, which is responsible for guiding the operations and strategic direction of...
October 11, 2019
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to share that Associate Brett C. Altier has been named to the Cleveland Bridge Builders Class of 2020. Altier is part of a diverse group of professionals chosen by the Cleveland Leadership Center to participate in this highly selective 10-month leadership program. Cleveland Bridge Builders prepares...
July 23, 2019
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that Partner Stephen G. Nesbitt has been appointed to the Board of Trustees for ProKids, a nonprofit organization based in Cincinnati that mobilizes the community by training and supporting volunteers to break the cycle of child abuse and neglect. ProKids’ mission is to secure...
July 09, 2019
- Serving as leasing counsel to the nation’s largest specialty retailer of fabrics and crafts in the nationwide leasing of superstore sites with approximately 35,000 square feet each.
- Serving as leasing counsel to North America’s largest specialty retailer of pet supplies and services.
- Serving as leasing counsel to an office supply superstore retailer in its national expansion program.
- Negotiating leases for, and serving as general counsel to, a growing chain of Irish pubs located throughout the Midwest.
- Serving as leasing counsel to the operator of multiple health clubs in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Representing a national restaurant franchisor in its expansion.
- Representing a rapidly expanding franchisee in all aspects of its leasing and construction build-outs.
- Representing a chain of rapidly expanding retail jewelry stores in connection with securing mall locations.
- Represented the landlord in the lease up of New City, an urban shopping center complex in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented a winery & restaurant in its national expansion.
- Acted as national coordinating counsel to a national restaurant chain for the inter-company conveyance of nearly 1,300 leased or owned restaurant locations.
- Represented an upscale Mexican restaurant in its expansion.
- Served as counsel to a leading national bank in the leasing of branch locations throughout Northeast Ohio.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Easton Town Center and the Fashion District at Easton in Columbus, Ohio.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Newport on the Levee Shopping Center in Newport, Kentucky.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Zona Rosa Shopping Center in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of retail and restaurant space at Centro Ybor Shopping Center in Tampa, Florida.
- Representing the landlord in the leasing of Bayshore Town Center, a regional Wisconsin shopping mall that has been converted to a town center format.
- Representing a landlord in the acquisition, development and leasing of The Greene, a 65-acre Beavercreek, Ohio, town center format shopping center with an adjacent movie theater.
- Serving as leasing counsel to various downtown and suburban office towers and complexes.