Driven by shifting political forces, the framework of policies and regulations that make up U.S. immigration law is in constant flux. Businesses of all sizes, and the millions of talented professionals who make up today’s modern workforce, face numerous challenges when attempting to navigate these complex laws. Our immigration lawyers are dedicated to helping clients confront and overcome those challenges. Relying on expertise that stems from decades of in-depth immigration experience, Ulmer’s Immigration Practice Group delivers comprehensive services and focused solutions for multinational corporations, health care institutions, small and mid-sized businesses, families, and individuals.
Corporate Immigration Services
Companies must recruit, hire, and retain top talent to compete. Representing companies of all sizes based in the U.S. and abroad, Ulmer’s immigration attorneys take a business-oriented approach to helping clients secure the talent that drives their businesses. Our attorneys take the time to understand client goals, and design practical, cost-effective strategies for managing global workforces that align with those goals.
We counsel clients on obtaining temporary employment visas, lawful permanent residence, and U.S. citizenship. We also provide employers with immigration advice related to mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, international tax, I-9 compliance and other labor issues affecting the employment of foreign nationals. Our immigration attorneys routinely represent clients before the Department of Homeland Security’s key immigration bureaus – USCIS, ICE, CBP, the U.S. Department of Labor, and U.S. Consulates worldwide.
Physician and Health Care Industry Services
International medical graduates and foreign-born physicians make up a substantial component of the U.S. physician workforce. Essential to the health and vibrancy of our country, these physicians and the health care institutions they work with are faced with an overwhelming burden in the form of complex U.S. immigration laws and regulations. Due in part to Ulmer’s deep experience representing health care institutions, our attorneys have particular expertise in representing physicians and international medical graduates in a variety of matters, including waivers of the J-1 two-year home residency requirement, EB-1 “extraordinary ability” petitions, and EB-2 national interest waivers for physicians in medically underserved areas.
Individual Immigration Services
Many highly qualified, individual professionals seek to pursue their goals and expand their professional horizons by working in the U.S. Passing through the maze of constantly shifting U.S. immigration laws and regulations can be a daunting task. Our attorneys routinely represent individuals in a wide variety of immigration, visa, and citizenship matters. We routinely represent individuals and their families in applications for U.S. citizenship, naturalization, marriage and fiancée petitions, and more.
We are dedicated to the zealous representation of immigrants facing deportation, and have successfully represented countless individuals charged with serious immigration violations before the Executive Office for Immigration Review and federal district and appellate courts. We are experienced in all phases of immigration litigation, including trials, administrative appeals, and federal court litigation. Our attorneys have strong track records of success litigating numerous applications for cancellation of removal, adjustment of status, asylum, withholding of removal, and protection under the Convention Against Torture.
The rules and regulations governing visa eligibility and admission to the U.S. are complex and ever changing. Our attorneys have years of experience successfully representing clients seeking nonimmigrant and immigrant visa waivers before U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. We have obtained waivers of inadmissibility for foreign nationals who have been found to be ineligible for entry to the U.S. based on fraud, past convictions, and other grounds of inadmissibility.
Ulmer in the News Topic: Immigration Attorney: David W. Leopold David Leopold, Chair of Ulmer’s Immigration Law group, has recently been in the news. On November 26, David contributed an opinion article to The Hill. David’s article, “A vote to pass year-end budget is a vote to deport Dreamers” can be read...
December 15, 2017
Ulmer in the News Topic: Immigration Attorney: David W. Leopold Ulmer attorney David Leopold was recently quoted in a Washington Post article discussing the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. Please click here to read the full article.
November 03, 2017
David Leopold, Chair of Ulmer’s Immigration Law group, was featured on NPR’s All Things Considered on September 6, 2017, discussing the Trump administration’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Leopold explains, among other things, that so-called “Dreamers,” even those with advance parole documents, should avoid...
September 06, 2017
Ulmer in the News Topic: Immigration Attorney: David W. Leopold David W. Leopold In today’s Morning Shift, published by POLITICO, David Leopold is featured prominently in a discussion about a recently proposed border security bill that has provisions for a “biometric entry and exit” system. This system would include DNA...
August 11, 2017
Ulmer in the News Immigration Pro Joins Ulmer & Berne’s Cleveland Office From Law360 By Kelly Knaub “Ulmer & Berne LLP announced Monday that it has strengthened its immigration practice with the acquisition of immigration law firm David Wolfe Leopold & Associates, whose founder, David W. Leopold, will be a partner in...
July 18, 2017
Ulmer & Berne LLP is pleased to announce that it has acquired David Wolfe Leopold & Associates, the internationally-recognized immigration law practice led by David W. Leopold. The acquisition bolsters Ulmer’s already robust immigration practice, which provides businesses with integrated solutions for immigration, visa and consular-related challenges. Leopold will be...
July 17, 2017
Ulmer brings our clients years of experience and a track record of success in nearly every aspect of immigration, visa and citizenship law, including:
- Employment-based visas for highly skilled foreign workers, including corporate managers and executives, engineers, computer professionals, artists and entertainers, physicians, scientists, and non-medical health care professionals;
- Extraordinary Ability and National Interest Waiver petitions for world renown foreign professionals, artists and entrepreneurs;
- Alien employment certification (PERM) for companies seeking to permanently retain foreign professionals and skilled workers;
- Waivers of the J-1 two-year foreign residence requirement for foreign medical graduates including Conrad 30 and interested federal government agency waivers;
- Representation of foreign nationals at U.S. consulates abroad, including the preparation and processing Treaty Trader and Investment visas for entrepreneurs and businesses seeking to relocate to the U.S., and representation of foreign nationals seeking waivers of inadmissibility;
- Advising companies with I-9 visas when engaging in mergers and acquisitions and due diligence;
- Counseling and defending businesses regarding their form I-9 employment verification compliance, including proactive internal form I-9 employment authorization verification audits;
- Defending companies facing government form I-9 audit and investigation, and criminal and civil workplace enforcement actions;
- Defense of complex deportation matters, including administrative trials and appeals, and federal court litigation; and
- Advising companies and their foreign talent on the critical issues to consider before international travel, including heightened screening and vetting of visa applications at U.S. consulates abroad.
Schedule a Consultation
Fill out the form below to request a confidential initial consultation.