Estate & Gift Tax Controversy
Ulmer & Berne’s tax and trust/estates attorneys represent fiduciaries in controversies with federal and state taxing authorities with respect to income, gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer tax issues.
Whether the issues relate to the appropriate valuation of assets, the interpretation of federal and/or state statutes or regulations, or other related controversies with governmental authorities, our attorneys have significant experience in pursuing such matters.
- Represented fiduciaries in federal and state audits pertaining to gift and estate tax issues.
- Successfully handled, both at administrative levels and in court, valuation controversies stemming from clients’ gifting programs/estate plans.
- Defending the establishment and effectiveness of family business/investment entities to not only achieve appropriate business goals, but to also minimize the value of such interests for estate and gift tax purposes.
- Successfully supported the taking of valuation discounts for minority interest, lack of marketability, and lack of control of various business entities.
- Successfully resolved the removal of penalties assessed against the taxpayer relating to valuation and inclusion issues.
James A. Goldsmith to Receive Distinguished Advisor Award from University Hospitals
Ulmer & Berne LLP is proud to announce that James A. Goldsmith, Partner and Chair of the firm’s Trusts & Estates Practice Group, will receive the Distinguished Advisor Award from University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio. This award honors Goldsmith’s commitment to his clients in aiding their generosity, foresight, and civic vision...
September 11, 2019