Ulmer & Berne’s construction law practice draws upon the expertise of a skilled group of attorneys who are knowledgeable about construction law and who take a special interest in the construction industry.
Our attorneys help clients anticipate problems at the outset, drafting contracts so as to minimize problems later. When disputes do arise, these attorneys seek the most cost-effective solutions to client challenges, regularly representing clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings arising from disputes. But when litigation is the only reasonable recourse, we also have partners with more than 20 years of experience litigating construction law cases before state and federal courts throughout the country and before various administrative agencies.
Our construction law practice offers a broad range of services. From determining the type of project delivery system through design, engineering, financing, preconstruction, construction and close-out services, our attorneys work closely with our clients to achieve the best results. Our residential and commercial clients range from locally owned contractors to some of the largest architectural firms in the region, as well as one of the ten-largest U.S. home builders. In addition, we have represented public and private owners on complex construction projects, including sports arenas and parking facilities.
Our attorneys assist clients through all phases of a construction project. We are experienced with providing all of the following services:
- Determining the type of project, organization and financing options
- Drafting contracts for construction, design, engineering, subcontracts and supply purchase orders
- Construction financing – including representation of many national lenders
- Prevailing wage requirements
- Minority business enterprise requirements
- Payment and performance bonding requirements
- Bid challenges and change orders
- Joint venture agreements
- Mechanic’s liens
- OSHA compliance and union issues
- Development or defense of claims for additional compensation
- Claims disputes through mediation, arbitration or litigation
Ulmer Partner Jason Conte was interviewed for a new article on Law.com regarding the June 24 collapse of Champlain Towers South in Florida. In the article, Jason speaks to the potential challenges on the road to fair recovery for the victims and their families. Jason states, “From what I heard,...
July 21, 2021