Founded in 1908, Ulmer & Berne LLP operates offices in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, Columbus, New York, Washington, D.C., and Boca Raton. Ulmer & Berne serves a wide range of clients that include individuals, sole proprietorships, public and privately held companies, multinational corporations, financial institutions, public bodies and nonprofit organizations. As one of the largest law firms in the U.S., Ulmer & Berne provides excellence in client services on a regional, national, and international level.
We are currently seeking a full-time Legal Secretary in our downtown Cincinnati office. The Legal Secretary will coordinate legal activities for attorneys by performing a variety of legal duties such as scheduling hearings, preparing legal documents and correspondence, docketing cases and maintaining court dockets and diaries, and providing information and direction to others. The work requires knowledge of legal secretarial and office practices.
Job Duties Include:
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and coordinating case preparation.
- Assists attorney by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions; maintaining transcripts; documenting and maintaining evidence.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Work closely with office staff through staff meetings and the coordination of training for staff by making arrangements for training sessions through the Firm’s Manager of Training.
- Work closely with the Firm’s Accounting Department to assist with any client related billing issues, process monthly petty cash distribution, process office’s accounts payable information, and assist with processing and setting up new vendors in the accounting system.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, set reasonable priorities and manage time and deadline driven workload.
A high school diploma with at least 10 years’ experience working as a litigation secretary is required. Experience working within a construction practice group is preferred. Position requires strong customer service skills with the ability to speak to people at all levels. The position requires strong written and verbal skills, advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Ulmer & Berne offers an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability plans, and a generous paid time off policy.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention Human Resources at Ulmer & Berne LLP; 1660 West 2nd Street; Suite 1100; Cleveland, OH 44113 or click here to apply online. Equal Opportunity Employer.