We are currently seeking a full-time Lead Secretary in our downtown Columbus office. A Lead Secretary coordinates the essential functions of legal duties for assigned attorneys as well as performing the day to day administrative tasks for the office. The Lead Secretary will perform a variety of legal secretarial duties such as scheduling hearings, preparing legal documents and correspondence, docketing cases and maintaining court dockets and diaries, and providing information and direction to others. The work requires knowledge of legal secretarial and office practices.
Job Duties Include:
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and coordinating case preparation.
- Assists attorney by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenue by documenting and inputting attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses; tracking payments, when necessary.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions; maintaining transcripts; documenting and maintaining evidence.
- Responsible for ensuring proper coverage for the front desk. This includes ensuring that scheduled guests are properly greeted, meeting room requests are fully executed, any other guests know how to communicate once in the office, as well as other items as necessary.
- Operations of the office machinery, including but not limited to, computers, fax machines, copiers, supplies for same, postage meter and scale, coordinate computer-related and telephone-related issues with the IT department.
- Operational responsibilities that include library materials, conference room maintenance, accounting functions, docketing, file/records maintenance, and office supply purchases.
- Participate in new employee orientations.
- Contact person for IT and accounting functions; coordinate information for facilities and building management including being the floor warden for the office.
- Ensure proper docketing for the attorneys in the office as well as billing and invoicing for the office. Receive and approve accounts payables and forward same to Cleveland for payment. Insert new monthly closed file data and maintain database.
- Liaison between offices to coordinate attorney visitors, including office and conference room assistance and fulfilled requests made during visits.
- Assist with court filings and errands needed by attorneys from other offices.
- Contact person to coordinate with other administrative departments.
A high school diploma with at least 10 years’ experience working as a legal secretary is required. Position requires strong customer service skills with the ability to speak to people at all levels. The position requires strong written and verbal skills, and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Ulmer & Berne offers an outstanding benefit package with includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability plans, and a generous paid time off policy.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention of Human Resources at Ulmer & Berne LLP; 1660 West 2nd Street; Suite 1100; Cleveland, OH 44113 or click here to apply online. Equal Opportunity Employer.