Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department, a member of Management Committee, and Past President of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Mike’s practice encompasses a broad range of general business disputes with a focus on commercial, banking, professional liability, securities, and broker-dealer matters, including arbitrations, class actions, and other types of complex litigation. Mike also frequently serves as a mediator and arbitrator in complex disputes.
- Selected as one of the top 100 Trial Lawyers in the country by Benchmark Litigation (2015-2017), which also recognized Mike as a “State Litigation Star,” defined as an attorney who is recommended consistently as a reputable and effective litigator by clients and peers (2014-2017).
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2007-2017) and ranked in Band 1 (the highest of 6 bands) for General Commercial Litigation (only 6 other Ohio attorneys – and only 1 other from Cleveland – earned this ranking). The qualities on which Chambers USA rankings are assessed include technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment, and other qualities most valued by clients. According to client feedback obtained during the selection process, Mike was described as “a razor-sharp litigator and all-around high class guy.” Chambers USA further described Mike as a “go-to attorney,” noting that his practice is “geographically wide-ranging and his expertise includes arbitration and consumer class actions.”
- Named Best Lawyers® Litigation-Banking & Finance “Lawyer of the Year” in Cleveland (2013; 2017) and Bet-the-Company Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” (2016). Best Lawyers designates only one lawyer per practice area as Lawyer of the Year in the nation’s largest legal markets.
- Named the highest ranking attorney in Ohio (out of approximately 44,000 active attorneys) for four consecutive years on the 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers list.
- The following are representative quotes taken directly from the 2014/2015 edition of Benchmark Litigation: “Michael Ungar is beloved by Ohio peers without exception”; “Michael is beyond good, he’s just A1, gold standard awesome,” pipes one peer, while another insists, “If I had to choose one litigator who’s at the top, someone that would be my first choice to represent me in a tough case, Michael would be my first call. He’s an intellectual tough guy who knows how to fight and when to fight, and he is smart about it.”
- In a recent U.S. News & World Report “Best Law Firms” ranking, another firm client observed: “I would put Mike Ungar up against any attorney in the country on the most sophisticated matter.”
- Mike is consistently included in The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2018).
- Mike is rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®, its highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics.
Representative clients in recent public matters include: Anheuser Busch, Citigroup, Fifth Third Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co., KeyBank, Morgan Stanley, PNC Bank N.A., Prudential Financial, Raymond James Financial Inc., and US Bank Corp.