David has extensive experience in all areas of immigration, visa, citizenship, consular practice, and deportation defense including:
- Employment-based nonimmigrant and immigrant visas for highly skilled foreign professionals, including corporate managers and executives, engineers, computer professionals, artists and entertainers, physicians, scientists, and other professionals.
- Alien employment certification (PERM) for companies seeking to permanently retain foreign professionals and skilled workers.
- Waivers of the J-1 two-year foreign residence requirement for foreign medical graduates including Conrad 30 and interested federal government agency waivers.
- Consular representation at U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide, including applications for immigrant and nonimmigrant visa waivers.
- Complex naturalization matters, including initial N-400 applications, N-336 appeals, and federal court litigation.
- Advising companies on employment verification compliance in anticipation of mergers and acquisitions.
- Counseling and representing companies regarding compliance with employment authorization verification requirements, including internal Form I-9 audits and employer sanctions defense.
- Complex deportation matters, including administrative trials and appeals, and federal immigration litigation.
- Representation of clients charged with immigration-related crimes, including visa fraud, illegal procurement of citizenship, and illegal reentry.
A respected authority on immigration law, David has extensive national immigration policy experience, including:
- Serving as a member of the Biden-Harris transition team’s Homeland Security Working Group, where he provided counsel to the incoming administration on immigration and border security issues.
- Serving as a member of the Biden-Harris presidential campaign’s Immigration Working Group, where he developed immigration policy proposals for senior advisors.
- Chairing the Hillary for America Immigration Working Group’s Interior Enforcement subgroup, where he oversaw the development of a comprehensive policy memorandum on interior enforcement.
- Serving on the National Platform Committee of the Democratic Party in 2016 and 2020.
David’s analyses and opinions on immigration law frequently appear in major media outlets, including:
- Contributing frequent opinion pieces to major media outlets including The Boston Globe, MSNBC.com, TPM.com, The Cincinnati Enquirer, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, Bloomberg Law, CNN.com, MediaMatters.com, Medium.com, HuffingtonPost.com, FOXNews.com, and FOXNewsLatino.com.
- Appearing as an on-air legal analyst for major national and international networks including MSNBC, CNN, FOX News, NPR, BBC, and CGTN TV.
- Serving as a “go-to” analyst of cutting-edge immigration issues for national and international print and online outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Newsweek, The Miami Herald, The Houston Chronicle, Associated Press, Reuters, Politico, Huffington Post, McClatchy News, Mother Jones, BuzzFeed, and The Guardian.
- Mendieta-Robles v. Gonzales, 2007 FED App. 0387N (6th Cir.2007)
- Tilley v. Gonzales, 2007 FED App. 0295N (6th Cir.2007)
- Pak v. Reno, 196 F.3d 666 (6th Cir. 1999)
- Pulice v. INS, 218 F.3d 505 (6th Cir. 2000)
- Roman v. Ashcroft, 340 F.3d 314 (6th Cir. 2003)
- Rosales-Garcia v. Holland, 322 F.3d 386 (6th Cir. 2003)(en banc)
- Roman v. Ashcroft, 181 F. Supp. 2d 808 (N.D. Ohio 2002)
- Denko v. Ashcroft, 351 F.3d 717 (6th Cir. 2003)
- Cline v. Catholic Diocese, 206 F.3d 651 (6th Cir. 1999)
- Independence Local School District Board of Education v. State Employment Relations Board et al. 62 Ohio St. 3d 134 (1991)
- Board of Education of the Strongsville City School District v. Theado, 57 Ohio St. 3d (1991)
- Mackey v. Steve Barry Ford, Inc., 1991 Ohio App. LEXIS 2574 (May 30, 1991)
- Theodore T. Theodore v. Geo Churchill, Inc., 1990 Ohio App. LEXIS 5961; Noll v. Nezbeth, 63 Ohio App. 3d 46 (1990)
- D’Ambrosi v. Vicorp Specialty Restaurant, Inc., 1989 Ohio App. LEXIS 628
- Lazar v. Korman, 1987 Ohio App. LEXIS 9215
- Dalzell-Milstein v. Midwestern Indem. Co., 1986 Ohio App. LEXIS 8631
- Republic Steel Corp. v. Hailey, 30 Ohio App. 3d 103 (1986)