Data Privacy & Security/ Technology Transactions
- Developed information security programs for financial services companies.
- Advised clients in analyzing and responding to data breaches, including a data breach requiring notice in 50 states and other U.S. jurisdictions.
- Developed Information Security Program for company’s protection of sensitive information and compliance with federal and state legal obligations.
- Advised public company about compliance with privacy laws in the context of collecting and analyzing large quantities of behavioral data (i.e., Big Data).
- Advised public company regarding Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) issues with respect to the acquisition of a payment processing solution provider.
- Represent a cloud-service provider in contract negotiations for the use of its manufacturing Software as a Service (SaaS) solution.
- Advised public company about development of a new business website that would collect information about young adults, including negotiating a cloud computing agreement for a vendor that would handle the sensitive information and compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- Negotiated a cloud computing agreement for marketing services with a vendor for the processing of personal information and credit card information.
- Negotiated significant technology agreements on behalf of public and private companies, including:
- Cloud agreements, such as SaaS and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Software Development Agreements
- Data Outsourcing Agreements
- Colocation Agreements
- Software Licensing Agreements, including Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software
- Professional Services Agreements for the implementation of technology solutions on behalf of customers and vendors
- Distribution Agreements
- Counseled clients on a variety of issues related to compliance with HIPAA and HITECH, including in negotiating agreements with business associates and preparation of HIPAA security policies.
- Implemented privacy policies for public and private companies that comply with federal and state laws.
- Collaborated as a member of a multi-disciplinary team at a Fortune 100 company to analyze the business and legal issues related to a services agreement for critical healthcare information technology infrastructure.
- Represented company in negotiation of significant, multi-national telecommunications agreement.
- Advised clients about e-commerce and technology laws that include the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Communications Decency Act, the E-Sign Act, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented clients in trademark matters including filing trademark applications, entering into trademark license agreements, and review of potential trademark infringement issues.
- Coordinated international trademark on behalf of multiple clients.
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a public company in the payment processing industry in its $361 million acquisition of an E-commerce payment processor.
- Represented public company in its acquisition of a manufacturer of adhesive dispensing equipment.
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of an Indian public company in the acquisition of a metal stamping manufacturer.
- Represented shareholders in the sale of technology consulting company to a private equity fund’s portfolio company.
- Represented shareholders in the sale of company providing online educational content.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of an adhesives manufacturer.
- Represented an Ohio grocery store in the sale of its pharmacy division.
- Represented U.S. affiliate of a European energy company in the acquisition of an Ohio engineering company.
- Represented manufacturing company in the acquisition of a tool manufacturing company.