At a Glance
Kurt’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities and investment fund matters. He has represented leading companies on numerous domestic and cross-border transactions and has extensive experience advising on regulatory and compliance matters, particularly under the U.S. securities laws. His clients have included banks, funds, investment advisers, insurance companies and other financial intermediaries, as well as businesses operating in the energy, manufacturing, technology, real estate, telecommunications, and food and beverage industries.
Kurt has regularly led teams on debt and equity corporate finance transactions valued at over $100 million, and has advised on completed financing transactions with an aggregate value of approximately $70 billion. His corporate finance and securities practice includes:
- Offerings of equity and debt securities, including investment-grade debt, high-yield debt and convertible debt
- Public securities offerings, including IPOs and follow-on offerings
- Private securities offerings, including private placements, Rule 144A exempt offerings and Regulation S exempt offerings
- Debt-restructuring transactions such as debt-for-equity exchange offers and other self-tenders
- Domestic and cross-border offerings for U.S. and non-U.S. issuers
- Primary and secondary offerings
- Financings for private investment funds, including fund formation and advisory work
In M&A, Kurt has led teams on complex transactions involving more than 70 jurisdictions, and has advised on completed deals with an aggregate value of over $55 billion. His M&A practice includes:
Kurt also provides advice regarding ongoing corporate governance and compliance matters. He often acts as outside general counsel to hedge fund managers, and routinely advises on the structuring and implementation of investments, capital raising and regulatory compliance, particularly under the Securities Act, the Investment Company Act and the Investment Advisers Act. He has also advised several leading issuers in the United States, Europe and Latin America regarding their reporting obligations under the Securities Exchange Act.
Kurt was most recently a Senior Attorney with Cravath, Swaine & Moore. He began his career at Sullivan & Cromwell was also associated with Mayer Brown. He was also lead counsel for a billion-dollar line of business at a major multinational insurance company. He speaks fluent French and Spanish, and is proficient in Portuguese and Italian.
Kurt is a member of the firm’s internal Ethics Committee.